Museums, Monuments, Memorials & Ruins WorldwideMuseums, monuments, memorials and ancient structures around the world.
- Battleship Memorial Park…Date visited 20 May 2018.
- Battleship Memorial Park MobileDate visited 20 May 2018.
- Hank Williams Museum MontgomeryNo photography was allowed inside the museum itself because of "copyright reasons." Sounded a bit weak to Grandpa based on policies at the many other museums…
- Mardi Gras Mobile StyleMobile, Alabama, was the home of the very first Mardi Gras parade. They still celebrate it.
- Maxwell Air Force Base Aircraft…Alabama Visited 23 May 2018.
- Moton Field TuskegeeVisited on 21 May 2015.
- Southern Museum of Flight…Moving to a new location in the future.Visited 11 May 2018.
- U.S.Army Aviation Museum Fort…Date visited 22 May 2018.
- Airbase Arizona Commemorative…Visited on 20 May 2014.
- Casa Grande National Monument20 May 2014.
- Champlin Fighter MuseumA very poorly lit museum that closed in 2003. Collection is now in Seattle. A new scanner as well as improved software has allowed improving the quality of the…
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum…A large state-owned park and museum where your grandparents spent half a day hiking in the desert and looking at exhibits. 19 May 2014.
- Luke AFB Air ParkVisited in August or September 1989.
- Montezuma Castle National…21 May 2014.
- O.K. Corral Museum DeadwoodThe O.K. Corral venue was also a museum.
- Pima Air Museum TucsonThree visits, of which photos from the latter two are presented here.
- Planes of Fame ValleJust south of the Grand Canyon South Rim.
Visited in February 2000.
- Cumbres & Toltec Railway…A full-day's, wonderful, scenic trip in the Rocky Mountains with a nice lunch. The trip covered 64 miles.
- Denver Museum of Nature &…Visited with Rick Rogers as host on 29 June 2019.
- Wings Over the Rockies Air &…This museum celebrates flight in Colorado. It is not a typical "all-inclusive" aviation museum.
Visited 27 June 2019.
- Air Force Missile & Space Museum…Located at the Headquarters, Eastern Test Range, Patrick Air Force Base, Florida, when I visited there in April 1965, it has since moved.
- Fantasy of Flight Polk CitySadly, Fantasy of Flight closed in early 2014. A greatly scaled-down museum now is open only certain days. See their Web site at…
- National Museum of Naval…Visited 20 May 2015.
- Army Aviation Heritage…This group of former helicopter pilots and maintenance personnel restores and demonstrates their aircraft around the country. Visited on 24 May 2018.
- Georgia Veterans State Park…Cordele, Georgia.
Dated visited 4 January 2015.
- Marietta Museum of History…Date visited 10 May 2018.
- Mighty 8th Air Force Museum…Visited 13 March 2013.
- Museum of Aviation Robins Air…Visited 03 January 2015.
- 94th Aero Squadron College ParkA restaurant in College Park, Maryland, with some mock-ups, not real aircraft.
Visited 08 March 2008.
- College Park Aviation MuseumA small collection commemorating the airfield that has been in operation longer than any other United States airfield. Visited on 08 March 2008.
- National Air & Space Museum Paul…Usually referred to as Silver Hill, it is where the aircraft are restored and kept until they can be put on display at the Smithsonian, either the Udvar-Hazy…
- Patuxent River Naval Air Test &…Near Lexington Park, Maryland.
Visited 17 October 2009.
- Mark Twain Museum HannibalThe Museum was somewhat spread out through the town and the ticket was checked off as one area or another was visited.
- National World War I Museum and…Date visited 05 July 2017.
- National World War I Museum &…Date visited 05 July 2017.
- Toy and Miniatures Museum Kansas…Date visited 05 July 2017.
- Treasures of the Steamboat…The "Arabia" sank in the Missouri River in 1856. Over the years, the course of the river changed and the steamboat was found buried beneath the silt, mud and…
- North Carolina
- Biltmore Estate AshevilleDate visited 24 October 2017.
- Carolinas Aviation Museum…Sadly, one of the poorer museums I have visited. The price was outrageous and there were few aircraft. There appeared to be some on the tarmac, but we were…
- First Flight, Kitty HawkA great full-sized memorial in metal.
- James Boyd House Southern PinesToday this home, on the National Register of Historic Places, is used by poets and writers who receive various grants to further their careers. Visited 6 July…
- North Carolina Aviation Museum…Many of the aircraft in these photos have been removed from the collection.
- North Carolina Museum of History…Visited 17 January 2015.
- North Carolina Transportation…Visited 13 July 2021.
- Pepsi Cola Museum New BernPepsi was invented right in New Bern, North Carolina, in the pharmacy which is now the museum.
Visted 01 May 2016.
- Town Creek Indian Mound Mount…Visited 25 July 2015.
- USS North Carolina WilmingtonVisited 26 November 2011 and again on 25 July 2017.
- Armstrong Air & Space Museum…Visited July 1979.
- A Christmas Story HouseGrandma Bert was excited about visiting the Christmas House.
- Fort Laurens Near Zoar, OhioOhio's only fort constructed during the American Revolution.
- MAPS Air Museum Akron-Canton…This album is still under construction.
- National Museum of the United…Several visits over the past 35 to 40 years.
- Ohio River Museum MariettaLocated in Marietta, Ohio. Date visited 06 June 2022.
- Walter Soplata Aircraft…Called "the junk yard" by locals, Mr. Soplata collected aircraft and placed them around his property, hoping some day to restore them. A glance at the…
- ZoarZoar was founded in 1917 by German religious dissidents, the Society of Separatists of Zoar. They were pacifists.
- Valley ForgeValley Forge is famous for where Washington's army spent one winter while the Red Coats were in Philadelphia, not too many miles away. Contrary to paintings…
- Willow Grove Naval Air Station…A suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is now closed and the aircraft on display next to the fence have been relocated to other museums.
- South Carolina
- Florence Air & Missile MuseumThis museum closed in December 1996. Most of the collection was destroyed or cannibalized for spare parts for other museums. Visited in April 1989.
- Hampton PlantationAn unfurnished example of an antebellum mansion, with parts of the construction moved away so that visitors may see how large homes were built in the late 18th…
- USS Yorktown Aircraft CollectionVisited 2 March 2011.
- Walterboro Army Airfield…Visited 4 April 2014.
- South Dakota
- Adams Museum DeadwoodDate visited 28 June 2017.
- Boehnen Memorial Museum &…Date visited 24 June 2017.
- Broken Boot Gold Mine DeadwoodDate visited 28 June 2017.
- Corn Palace MitchellThe world's only corn palace.
Date visited 24 June 2017.
- Mammoth Site of Hot SpringsDate visited 29 June 2017.
- Minuteman National Historic Site…Date visited 25 June 2017.
- Minuteman Missile Silo PhilipDate visited 25 June 2017.
- Mount RushmoreDate visited 27 June 2017.
- Prairie Homestead BadlandsDate visited 25 June 2017.
- Birthplace of Country Music…Musical Heritage.
- Graceland MemphisHome of Elvis Presley.
Visited 10 May 2014.
- The Hermitage, Home of Andrew…Andrew Jackson was the seventh president of the United States.
Visited 8 May 2014.
- Mud Island River Park & Museum…Visited 9 May 2014.
- Nashville Walk of FameLocated across from the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Ryman Auditorium NashvilleThe "Mother Church" of country music.
- Appomattox Court HouseSite of the surrender of the Confederacy at the end of the American Civil War.
Visited 24 October 2019.
- Fighter Factory and Military…Visited 03 January 2014.
- Hampton Air Power ParkAn outdoor, roadside museum.
Visited 05 January 2014.
- National Museum of the United…Grandma Bert and Aunt Kelly visited the grounds of the museum on 10 January 2016. The actual building was closed for renovations.
- National Museum of the United…When I visited originally about 1977 and again in 1986, it was simply called the Marine Corps Air-Ground Museum. The indoor photos are from the 1977 visit. The…
- Patrick Henry National Memorial…Visited 25 October 2019.
- Patsy Cline House WinchesterVisited 22 October 2019.
- Shannon Air MuseumThis collection has moved at least two times since these photos were taken in 1977 or 1978. It now is in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
- Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center |…Dulles International Airport, Virginia, Smithsonian Annex.
- Tank Museum DanvilleA privately owned museum.
Visted 25 October 2019.
- U.S. Army Transportation Museum…Visited Autumn of 1985.
- Virginia Air and Space Center…Visited 5 January 2014.
- Washington, D.C.
- National Air & Space MuseumOnly a few of my collection taken at the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum.
- National Museum of the United…Visited late 1977 before it became the National Museum of the USN.
- Washington, Beyond the MonumentsA trip Grandma Bert and Grandpa Roy took in Washington, DC, that showed them monuments and sights not normally visited by tourists. Summer 1988.
- West Virginia
- Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine &…Date visited 9 July 2017.
- Blennerhassett MuseumA museum in which your grandparents were told there was no rhyme or reason to the layout of the museum... No structure. However, it was a very interesting…
- Clay CenterClay Center for the Arts and Sciences of West Virginia.
- Harpers Ferry National Historic…Visited late 1981.
- Those Who Served War Museum,…A really nice little museum on the second floor of the municipal building. They gave Grandpa Roy a "goodie bag" for having served. In it were thank you notes…
- Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim,…A true "Man's Museum," it even had a complete display of Stihl chainsaws.
Visited August or early September 1995.
- Central Australian Aviation…Northern Territory, Australia.
Visited about August 1984.
- Great Britain
- Air Museums
- Historic Aircraft Museum…This museum closed March 1983.
Visited in summer 1975.
- Imperial War Museum DuxfordMany of the aircraft from the London museum have been moved to Duxford.
- Imperial War Museum LondonThe 1974-1977 photos were taken before the Imperial War Museum assumed control of RAF Duxford. Before that it was shared by several different organizations, all…
- Mosquito Aircraft Museum London…Visited in 1976.
- North East Aircraft MuseumThese 1976 photos were taken just as the museum was starting up. The aircraft still had not been moved to their permanent home.
- Royal Air Force Museum CosfordVisited in 1976.
- Royal Air Force Museum London…The aircraft in the photos from the 1970s, for the most part, are different than those in the 1984 album.
- Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum…Visited July 1976.
- Science Museum South Kensington,…Visited in 1975 or 1976.
- Shuttleworth Collection Old…For photos during Old Warden flying days, see Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society in the Shows/Open Houses folder. Visited several times during my service in…
- Strathallan Aircraft CollectionSadly, the Strathallan Aircraft Collection closed in 1990. There had been a show 4 days before my visit according to my notes. Research shows it was held on…
- Musée de l'Air, Paris, FranceThe museum moved from Chalais Meudon to Le Bourget airport in 1975.
- Central Air Force Museum, MoninoThese photos are from various sources, in particular from Rainer Niedree of Germany who provided a large number of Monino slides to me in the mid 1970s.