- Aircraft Museums, Shows &…All aviation albums in this folder open in a new tab.
- Wings over HarnettCounty wanted to show off their new terminal building, but the show was a disaster as they were not prepared for the large crowds. Show held 18 October 2014.
- Marine Corps Air Station Cherry…It was a very grey day.
Attended 30 April 2016.
- Moore County Airport, North…Photos taken of aircraft approaching, departing or at the Moore County Airport.
- Moore County Airport Fly-ins and…Three free shows, then they began to charge outrageous entry fees.
- Sanford-Lee County Airport B-17…Photographed on 21 September 2014, the bomber was in 'Memphis Belle' colors and gave rides at $450.00 a pop.
- Seymour-Johnson Show7 April 2011.
- Birds in Our BackyardOn 17 November 2022, Grandpa Roy photographed species number 70 at the home, a Song Sparrow..
Opens in new tab.
- Cabin Stay with GrandchildrenAugust 2015.
Only the cabin photos opoen in this folder, all the others open in a new tab.
- Blue Ridge ParkwayPhotos from portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway inside North Carolina
- Bristol, TN/VABristol, TN/VA
- Bristol CavernsVisited August 2015
- Daniel Boone Native GardensThe Daniel Boone Native Gardens are located in Boone, NC. The cabin belonging to Daniel Boone's father was moved here for display.
- Linville CavernsVisited August 2015.
- Judaculla Rock Historic SiteA rock covered with ancient glyphs carved by early American Indians.
Visited 27 October 2021.
- Lejeune Memorial GardensLejeune Memorial Gardens commemorates heroes of all sorts, from the first black Montford Point Marines of World War II through 9/11 and the antiterrorist…
- Linville CavernsVisited August 2015.
- Museums of North Carolina
- Airborne & Special Operations…Visited frequently.
- Prisoner of War ExperienceThis exhibit was a special scheduled to leave in September 2021.
- Triple NicklesThe first Black airborne unit of World War II.
- Biltmore EstateDate visited 24 October 2017.
- Christmas TreesBiltmore House was already being decorated for Christmas during our visit on 24 October 2017.
- Look UpLook up to see the art.
- Fort DobbsA reconstruction of a fort used during the French and Indian Wars before the American Revolutionary War.
Visited 21 October 2021.
- Historic Bethabara ParkNear Winston-Salem, this old village was founded by Moravians in the mid-1700s.
Visited 09 June 2022.
- Visitor's CenterMasks were mandatory inside the Visitors' Center. Grandpa Roy was not happy.
- The BlacksmithThe blacksmith explained his trade and made Grandma Bert a free hook for hanging plants.
- The Gardens
- Vegetable GardenThis garden was fenced off from the public within the overall larger garden.
- James Boyd HouseToday this home, on the National Register of Historic Places, is used by poets and writers who receive various grants to further their careers. Visited 6 July…
- House and OutbuildingsAs seen from outside the home.
- The GroundsToday the home is called the Weymouth Center for the Arts and Humanities
- Mountain Gateway MuseumLocated in Old Fort, North Carolina.
Visited 22 October 2021.
- North Carolina Museum of HistoryRaleigh, North Carolina
Visited 17 January 2015.
- North Carolina Transportation…Located in Spencer, North Carolina, which is adjacent to Salisbury.
Visited 13 July 2021.
- Offbeat Vehicles
- The Merci TrainThe boxcars were designed to carry 40 men or 8 horses and, therefore, called 48s. They were built in the 1870s and carried men, including American soldiers, in…
- OthersHand-drawn fire hose cart.
- Train Cars
- Hospital CarThese cars were used to take the wounded from the port of entry to hospitals for treatment. They provided the best comfort possible and, according to all…
- Mail CarMail was sorted for distribution on routes around the country.
- USS North CarolinaVisited 26 November 2011 and again on 25 July 2017
- Thanksgiving 2022 PhotosAs viewed from the hotel room and the River Walk.
- North Carolina Veterans ParkNot really a park but a memorial to military heroes
- Old English CemeteryLocated in Salisbury, North Carolina.
Visited 13 July 2021.
- Outer BanksVisited 2-4 March 2012
- Parks & Gardens
- Blue Ridge ParkwayThis album contains photos from three different years that your grandparents have driven parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway, 2014, 2015 and 2021.
- Cape Fear Botanical GardenVisited on 26 March 2016 and then again on 22 May 2021.
- North Carolina ArboretumFilled with trees,plants and trails, the Arboretum is most definitely worth visiting.
Visited 27 October 2021.
- BonsaiThe art of making miniature trees and shrubs.
- Daniel Boone Native GardensLocated in Boone, NC, the cabin belonging to Daniel Boone's father was moved here for display.
- Great Smoky Mountains National…North Carolina side of the park.
- The Mountain FarmLocated at the Oconaluftee Visitors Center at the southern end of highway 441 through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Visited 26 October 2021.
- Morrow MountainVisited in 25 July 2015
- Uwharrie National ForestVisited 2 December 2012
- Weymouth WoodsVisited Often.
- First VisitVisited in 2006 when we were buying our home on Shadow Lake.
- Town Creek Indian MoundVisited 25 July 2015
- Tractor ShowEderville, North Carolina
The smell of anthracite was definitely in the air.
Date visited 03 November 2019
- Period RoomsA "Period Room" is a display combining architectural components, pieces of furniture, and decorative objects organized to evoke—and in some cases recreate—an…
- Villages, Towns & Cities
- Wing HavenLocated in an upscale, older residential district of Charlotte, the gardens are not heavily visited, inexpensive to enter and most definitely worth the trip.…
- Wing Haven GardensDate visited 28 October 2021.
- Elizabeth Lawrence Gardens.Located 10 doors away, the admission price to Wing Haven includes this house and garden.
Date visited 28 October 2021.
- Oconaluftee Indian VillageVisited 26 October 2021.
- Harrah's Cherokee Casino ResortAll photos of Harrah's Casino Resort were taken by Grandma Bert.
Date of stay was evening of 26 October 2021.
- Mayberry/Mount AiryMount Airy, North Carolina, was the inspiration for the town Mayberry in the Andy Griffith TV show, which ran from 1960 to 1968. Today the town relies on that…
- Around TownThe real Mount Airy today. Though some establishments have names associated with the TV show, they were not part of the series and are in this album.
- The QuarryThe quarry is the largest open face quarry in the world.
- Historic Downtown
- Walker's Soda FountainGrandma Bert and Grandpa Roy entered for a rest and a bite.
- New BernNew Bern was the first capital of North Carolina, before the American Revolution.
Visited 30 April and 01 May 2016
- BearsNew Bern was named for Bern, Switzerland, when it was settled in 1710. "Bern" is a translation for "bear." during their 2010 celebrations, the city had local…
- Pepsi Cola MuseumPepsi was invented right in New Bern, North Carolina, in the pharmacy which is now the museum.
Visted 01 May 2016.
- River WalkYour grandparents' walk was curtailed because it began to rain.
- Tryon Palace GardensGrandma Bert remarked that she wished they had eight gardens from which to choose to relax in.
- Southern Pines
- Dunrovin Country StoreAn interesting venue for unusual grocery products as well as a small park with exotic birds.
Visited 30 January 2019.
- Carolina Horse Park Art ExhibitWorks of art at full-horse size.
Grandma Bert took all the photos.
- 21 February 2022 PhotosGrandma Bert took all the photos.
- Whispering PinesWhere Grandma and Grandpa have lived since 2010.
Whispering Pines is recognized as a village by the State of North Carolina.
- Birds in Our BackyardOn 17 November 2022, Grandpa Roy photographed species number 70 at the home, a Song Sparrow.
Opens in new tab.
- Grandma Bert Takes a WalkA typical walk around the village by Grandma Bert.
- WilmingtonVisited 3 May 2016, May 2020 and Thanksgiving 2022
- Airlie GardensVisited 7 July 2020 by Grandma Bert and grandsons Aaron and Noah and again on 26 November 2022 by Grandma and Grandpa Roy.
- July 2020 TripGrandma Bert took grandsons Aaron and Noah to visit the gardens when they visited during the first year of the Pandemic.
- Thanksgiving 2022 TripGrandma Bert wanted Grandpa Roy to see the gardens. He really enjoyed them. Albums are in alphabetic order, not in order visited.
- Bottle Chapel.Designed by self-taught artist, Minnie Evans, a Black lady from Wilmington.
- Rabbits as ArtThese pieces of art were to be given away or sold. Grandma and Grandpa only found a few of them.
- Ready for ChristmasThe gardens were decorated for evening Christmas events that were all sold out.
- Cotton ExchangeVisited 25 November 2022.
- The German CafeGrandpa Roy and Grandma Bert had supper here the evening after Thanksgiving.
- 2016 TripGrandma Bert and Grandpa Roy visited Wilmington during their Lowcountry road trip.
- Greenfield ParkGrandma Bert insisted on driving through the park even in the rain and gloom, one of only two days your grandparents had rain during their Lowcountry trip. Date…
- RailRoad MuseumAlbums are in alphabetical order.
Visited 25 November 2022.
- The LocomotiveChildren delighted in ringing the bell on the locomotive at the museum.
- The CabooseVisitors can go aboard the caboose.
- Model Train LayoutAn excellent model train layout with many running trains, vehicles and more.
- Personnel MattersPeople kept the railroad operating.
- SignalsNot only electrical signals, but also markers and other types of "signals" were for train transportation.
- Special ModelsModels of trains, locomotives and cars not in the running layout.
- Tools of the TradeFrom the giant lathes to the smallest pocket watch, items that the railroads used.
- River WalkWalked Thanksgiving morning, 24 November 2022.
- BuildingsHomes, apartments, restaurants, shops and other buildings seen while on Riverwalk.
- The TrailViews of the RIverwalk trail itself.
- Statues, Memorials and ArtworksAll of these may be seen on or adjacent to Riverwalk.
- WatercraftBoats, wharfs, docks and information for and about watercraft along Riverwalk.
- Other Scenes Along RiverwalkPhotos that don't categorize well.
- USS North Carolina Opens in new…Visited 26 November 2011 and again on 25 July 2017
- Zoos & Aquaria
- Aloha ZooThe Aloha Zoo rescues animals of all types from movie makers, homes that mistreat animals and more. Visited 19 April 2014 (and earlier, too).
- Conservators CenterVisited in 2016 with Noah and 2017 with Aaron
- Fort Fisher Aquarium
- OutdoorsOutside included a dinosaur collection.
- North Carolina ZooThe wonderful Forest Aviary depicted in this album, sadly, was closed forever in 2022 because of structural damage to the facility.
- 2014Visited 14 March 2014.
- AfricaOne of the better outdoor Africa displays in the United States.
- Forest AviaryNot only birds, but also tropical plants.
- North AmericaThere is now a new Polar bear enclosure, but we still have to get photos of it.
- StatuaryLocated throughout the zoo.
- 2020Visited 10 January 2020.
- The DesertsGrandma Bert took all of the snake photos.
- Just VisitingA few photos of wildlife that are seen at the zoo, but are not really part of the zoo's collection.